Pages

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Homemade Pizza

Last Friday night, I made homemade pizza. Now I make a mean homemade pizza base from scratch, but I would have needed to heat up the pizza stones in the electric oven we have here and I wasn't sure how that would go. I found out that pizza bases don't do too well in our turbo oven either, so I decided to cheat and get store bought ones that I could chuck into the turbo oven. I got the Bazaar Breads Gourmet Pizza bases (the single serve sizes, there are 3 in a pack) because they were a perfect fit for the turbo oven. I decided instead of doing the normal tomato paste + bbq sauce + herbs mixture I normally use for the pizza sauce, I would make a homemade version. I had half a jar of tomato passata leftover from when I had made a stew the day before. So I chopped half an onion, crushed a garlic clove, then sauteed lightly, poured in the leftover passata (about 300-400ml) and let it simmer (partially covered with a lid - it splattered a lot!) Seasoned it, added some dried italian herbs and then a squirt of bbq sauce and it was done and it was yum. I think it really made the pizza. Just had pretty standard toppings - ham, pepperoni, mushroom, capsicum, pineapple... then a mix of parmesan, cheddar and mozzerella cheese on top and there you go. I actually pre-baked the bases for about 5 minutes on each side to crisp up the base a bit before topping them and then letting them cook for 6-10 minutes... so it was nice and easy and the Bazaar Bread pizza bases were pretty yummy... I'd use them again! 3 pizzas was plenty for the 2 of us... we had some leftovers for lunch the next day... next time I might just do 2 pizzas and a bit of garlic bread on the side.

1 comment:

Tuan Vuong said...

wow just discovered this blog clara.. u havent put an entry in for a while but ngoc and i will trawel through the old ones... looks so yummy.